What is DoctorWellington?
- DoctorWellington is a subscription-based healthcare service that provides effortless access to both primary and urgent care when, where, and how you want. For a low monthly fee of $49, members gain full access to a robust network of top-tier physicians and nurse practitioners year-round, either in-person at a clinic or via video/chat through our innovative, secure patient portal. For even more information, check out our about page!
This sounds too good to be true. There must be a catch here. What exactly does DoctorWellington cover?
- No catch! Your DoctorWellington subscription gives you membership access to 16 clinics across Alabama. It covers visits in those clinics or telemedicine visits that are with providers at those clinics. Most labs, tests, and procedures are also covered. For example, x-rays and stitches are included! If something is not included, you will know up front and have all the pricing information you need before you make a decision. We have no higher priority than providing full cost transparency to our members! All of the nitty gritty details can be found here. Still think it’s a scam? Read more about how we’re actually able to offer urgent care and primary care for $49/month.
Do I need an appointment, or can I just walk in or start a virtual visit?
- You can make an appointment if it is more convenient for your schedule. You can also just walk into a clinic during business hours. For virtual video visits and chats, you can start a visit and be connected with a provider in a short amount of time.
How much does DoctorWellington cost?
- $49/month. That’s all! If something is not included, such as an exotic lab test, you will know up front and have all the pricing information you need before you make a decision. Children can be added for an additional $10/month per child (urgent care only). We have no higher priority than providing full cost transparency to our members!
Is DoctorWellington Insurance?
- Nope! You should think of DoctorWellington as “health maintenance costs” – like putting oil or gas in your car. You don’t run those through your car insurance. Rather, you use your car insurance when a major catastrophe – such as a car wreck – occurs. Similarly, you should have medical insurance in case of an unexpected health crisis.
If I don’t have insurance, can I use DoctorWellington?
- Absolutely! You will receive the same price and care as everyone else. You should get health insurance to supplement your DoctorWellington membership because life’s unexpected events and serious health issues can happen to any of us at any time.
If I have health insurance, why the heck would I pay for DoctorWellington?
- The high deductibles of insurance plans have become absolutely ridiculous. That means you have to pay thousands of dollars a year before they will start to cover the majority of your costs. DoctorWellington costs less than $600 per year and can cover most of your healthcare expenses! For a low monthly fee of $49, members gain full access to a robust network of top-tier physicians and nurse practitioners 362 days a year (We are closed Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving), either in-person in a clinic or via video / chat through our innovative, secure patient portal.
Will my insurance company cover the cost of DoctorWellington?
- DoctorWellington does not bill through medical insurance or allow for reimbursement from your insurance provider for DoctorWellington costs. We work without the insurance companies to give you the best pricing. Without the insane administrative costs that billing insurance creates, we are able to offer healthcare for cheaper than your insurance may bill you!
Do I have to have appointments or can I just walk in or start a start a virtual visit?
You can make an appointment if it is more convenient for your schedule. You can also just walk in a clinic during opening hours. For virtual video visits and chats, you can start a visit and be connected with a provider in a short amount of time.
Where are DoctorWellington clinics available?
- We have partner clinics all over the state of Alabama. You can click here to view all of our locations as well as their business hours.
I’m young and healthy – why do I need a DoctorWellington membership?
- One of the most important parts of health is prevention. It’s great that you’re young and healthy – let’s keep it that way (well, at least the healthy part). A DoctorWellington membership includes a yearly wellness visit (think: annual physical), which tests for early signs of various conditions. Your membership also covers most of your urgent care needs, when you need it. The high deductibles of insurance plans have become absolutely ridiculous. Why should you have to pay thousands of dollars a year before the insurance company covers the majority of the cost? This is crazy! DoctorWellington costs less than $600 per year and can cover most of your outpatient primary healthcare expenses!
It’s 9:45pm on a Friday night and I am feeling under the weather. Can DoctorWellington help me?
- Absolutely! We have extended hours on weekdays and weekends. You can choose to walk in a clinic that is open or schedule an appointment. You can also take advantage of our virtual video visits or chat during the following hours:
- Monday-Friday: 8am-10pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 8am-9pm
Can I add my children to my membership?
- Of course! You can add your children for $10/month per child. We do not serve as a pediatrician, but your kids can use DoctorWellington for urgent care. X-rays, stitches, colds, etc. – they’re all covered with your DoctorWellington kid membership! Keep in mind that once a child is added, he/she cannot be removed from your subscription until the end of your membership year. Children can only be added to an adult’s DoctorWellington account. A child cannot have a stand-alone membership. For more information, visit our about page!
Can my child get primary care through DoctorWellington?
- For now, we only offer urgent care for children through in-clinic and telemedicine video/chat visits.
What happens when my child turns 18?
- When a child turns 18, they are required to open their own DoctorWellington portal account with their email address. They are no longer eligible for the $10/month child rate. Their account needs to be transitioned over to an adult account, where we can handle their primary and urgent care needs – just like we handle yours!
What are DoctorWellington’s hours?
- You can click here to view all of our clinics’ business hours. You can also take advantage of our virtual video visits or chat during the following hours:
- Monday-Friday: 8am-10pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 8am-9pm
Can I do as many telemedicine and clinic visits as I want?
- State regulations do require DoctorWellington to limit the amount of times you can be seen with your membership. We have tried hard to build in enough usage in your subscription so that you will get the visits you need. Note that telemedicine visits ‘count’ as half an in-clinic visit, so we always suggest having your visits virtually — whenever possible. Check out the nitty gritty details of this here.
What if I go over in visit credit usage?
- One of our main goals for DoctorWellington is to prevent people from hitting financial and access barriers. As such, our team has worked tirelessly to design a healthcare solution where you genuinely have what you need included. To ensure you don’t incur overages in credit usage, we have created a credit tracker on your account page that will alert you if you are getting close to exceeding the maximum visits allowed by law. If this were to occur, you will see upfront what you would have to pay per service for the overage. You can see what those rates are here. We are upfront and transparent about everything!
I need my yearly physical. What say you?
- We say come on down! We have two options for how to do your yearly physical.
- Option A: you take surveys online, get labs drawn in a clinic, and schedule a telemedicine video visit for your wellness review.
Option B: you schedule an appointment to come into a clinic. Everything will be done there. After your lab results are back, the provider will message you with anything not reviewed at your appointment.
Does DoctorWellington cover the cost of my prescriptions?
- Prescriptions are not included with your DoctorWellington membership. Your pharmacy can run your prescriptions through your commercial health insurance. To view our list of most common prescription drugs click here, if you would like to view a huge list of ALL prescription drugs and their individual prices click here.
Are x-rays and labs included in my membership?
- All x-rays that we can do in a given clinic are included in your membership. If you require other imaging, such as an ultrasound, you will be referred to an imaging center. The imaging center can bill you through your commercial insurance.
Many labs are included in your membership as well. We designed the membership such that, for most people, the routine and common labs you may need each year are included. If a lab is going to be outside of something included in your membership, you will be told that upfront along with the cost. You can see what labs are part of your membership here.
Can you walk me through the lab process?
- You know how you go to the doctor’s office, get some stuff drawn, then sit there and wait to talk to the doctor? And then the doctor can’t tell you much because your labs haven’t been run? Yeah, we hate that, too. We also hate having to drive BACK to the office and paying ANOTHER copay just for the doctor to talk to you about your results.
DoctorWellington is respectful of your time and knows you have a lot going on. That’s why with DoctorWellington you can go into the clinic for your labs and then discuss the results in a video or chat visit.
Can HSA/FSA funds be used for your membership?
That’s a tax question and, as you can image, we cannot aswer tax questions. Please check with whoever helps you with your taxes or CPA.
I have a preexisting condition. Will that effect my ability to join DoctorWellington?
- Like most family care providers, we are unable to manage complicated health concerns. This includes conditions such as Type 1 diabetes, COPD, and complex psychiatric issues (you will be referred to a psychiatrist).
Can I choose my provider?
- DoctorWellington empowers you with the freedom to schedule appointments in advance or on-demand. However, the system will select what provider to connect you with. Or, if you go to a clinic you will see the provider there at that time. You can always decide to ask for another provider if you wish and one is available.
What should I expect during my video call or chat visit?
- Exactly what you’d expect from a visit to one of our clinics, minus any physical care. We can address your concerns, prescribe medications, and more!
What about medical equipment such as a walking boot?
- We offer durable medical equipment at a low cash-pay rate. If you need equipment like this, the provider can let you know how much the cost will be before you commit to purchasing it. Check out the nitty gritty details here.
What should I expect at my in-clinic visit?
- A clinic visit includes triaging with the medical assistant (including collecting your vitals) as well as anything else necessary for your particular visit. Some visits (like stopping by the clinic to give a urine sample) do not require a visit with the provider, but full in-clinic visits do. For a full list of what labs and procedures are included in your membership, click here.
Will I be able to schedule recurring appointments? If so, how far in advance can I schedule?
- Absolutely! You can schedule as many appointments as you want as far in advance as you see fit.
Where are my medical records stored?
- All patient medical records are stored in our secure, special purpose EMR system.
How long does my DoctorWellington membership last?
For adults 18 years of age and older, a DoctorWellington membership lasts 1 year.
For children 17 years old or younger, the first term is from when the child is added to when the parent’s current term ends, then their time runs concurrently with their parent’s thereafter.
Can I cancel my membership anytime?
- We know you are sick of hidden fees, which is why cost transparency reigns supreme at DoctorWellington. In some situations, there may be a cancellation fee to end your membership early. However, you will always be able to see what the fee is before making a decision. We can assure you that the fee will never be more than the remaining subscription payments for your current term. To view our cancellation policy, please click here.
How do referrals work, and will you coordinate with other specialists?
- We have a centralized care coordination team that handles your referrals. They communicate with specialists for you to arrange appointments. The care coordination team messages you through the portal if they need any additional information, need you to take any next steps, or to let you know your appointment has been scheduled.
What about refunds?
- Subscriptions and charges are non-refundable unless there’s a payment-processing error.
Do you offer immunizations?
- Your DoctorWellington membership entitles you to 1 flu shot per person, per year! Furthermore, if you need a tetanus shot, that is included too! For more information about immunizations, check out our about page!
If you are traveling or are behind on your immunizations, your provider can write you a prescription to get the immunizations you need at the pharmacy or health department, where you can get them at the rate the location charges.
If you need the shingles vaccine, we will get you a prescription and you can purchase the vaccination and have it administered at the pharmacy. Otherwise, we do not currently offer other immunizations.
How do I use the telemedicine features and when can I use them?
- You can start a video visit or chat visit by clicking on “Start/Schedule a Visit” from your home screen. Choose the reason for your visit. If your visit reason qualifies and you are trying to start a visit within telemedicine service hours, you will be presented with the option to start a video visit or chat visit.
You can take advantage of our virtual video visits or chat during the following hours:
- Monday-Friday: 8am-10pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 8am-9pm
How long does it take to get replies to messages I send in the portal?
- Our care coordination team serves as message traffic control. They direct your message to the right person if they cannot answer it themselves. Our care coordination team typically works Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm. However, sometimes a provider may need to address your question. For that reason, most messages receive a reply within 2 business days. Messages are not intended for emergencies or urgent matters.
How do I schedule an appointment?
- Simply click on Start/Schedule an appointment from the home screen or My Appointments page. You will enter in the reason for your visit and walk through the scheduling process.
I tried to start a visit, but the option of a video or chat visit is not showing up! What’s up with that?
- Your reason may fall outside the scope of telemedicine visits. You may also be trying to start a visit outside of available hours. If the issue persists, please contact us!
Why can’t I change my email address associated with my account?
- Your email is your unique identifier that prevents you from having duplicate patient accounts. It keeps your medical record all together attached to one profile. Therefore, you cannot change your email address without creating an entirely new account. This is why we require email verification during the registration process.
If you have special circumstances, please contact us!